Mark joined WMCZ in 2010 and became an owner in 2012.
Q: My favourite day of the year is…
A: when ski season starts
Q: If I wasn’t a lawyer I’d probably be a…
A: ski bum instructor
Q: If I could meet anyone from history it would be…
A: Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, KG, GCB, DSO, PC
Q: The thing that most drives me around the bend is…
A: other lawyers!
Q: My favourite quotation is…
A: “All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost”
Q: My favorite thing about being a lawyer is…
A: meeting the most interesting people
Q: If could have chosen my own name, you’d be calling me…
Family Law – Including custody and access, divorce, property division, pensions, support and maintenance, enforcement of court orders, restraining orders, common-law relationship issues, Family Services matters, publication bans, guardianship and adoptions. Extensive counsel experience in motions court, trial, and on appeal.
- Counsel for “Saskatoon Dad” in controversial multi-party “fathers’rights”custody case in “Adam Hendricks” v. “Rose Swan”et al., 2007 SKQB 36, 2007 SKCA 46
- Successful representation in conflict of interest & unequal property division in Shemrock v. Shemrock, 2003 CanLII 53669 (SK Q.B.)
- Counsel in pioneering parallel parenting case in Saskatchewan in Hladun v. Hladun, 2002 SKQB 319
- Counsel in case involving legal privilege, `without prejudice` negotiations and admissibility of disputed documents in Stanley v. Friend, 2008 SKCA 53 and in R.F. v. O.B., 2006 SKQB 496
- Cases involving child support for adult children, in Chyz v. Prystupa, 2008 SKQB 347
- Property division and unequal division, in Wiegers v. Wiegers, 2010 SKQB 78
Civil Litigation – Including complex litigation involving negligence, negligent misrepresentation, insurance cases (for both plaintiffs and defendants), breach of contract, economic loss, personal injury, wrongful dismissal, debtor-creditor, citizenship and immigration, and contested estate matters.
- Counsel work for Lloyd’s Underwriters in relief from forfeiture case involving law of condition precedent, breach of condition v. imperfect compliance, in Lloyd’s Underwriters v. Colliers McClocklin Real Estate Corp, 2004 SKCA 66
- Counsel for contractor in industry standards & consumer protection case also involving legal standard of review on appeal, in Kutsogiannis v. Saskatoon Ceramic Tile (1984) Ltd., 2002 SKQB 476
- Counsel for seed company in breach of contract case with farmer, in Baraniski v. Shamrock Seeds Ltd., 2001 SKQB 352
- Counsel in litigation involving mental incapacity and contractual relations issues, in Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce v. Milhomens, 2004 SKQB 168
Commercial Litigation – Shareholder disputes, ‘control of company’ matters, litigation arising from sale of shares, negligent misrepresentation, non-performance of obligations, economic loss.
Criminal Law – Criminal code offences including assault, sexual assault, impaired driving & ‘.08’ cases, criminal negligence, domestic violence, dangerous driving, drug-related matters including trafficking and possession, extradition, theft, firearms, outstanding warrants, cases involving search and seizure, arbitrary detention and rights to counsel. Also including offences under Liquor and Gaming, Highways & Transportation, Traffic Safety Acts.
- Lead counsel before Supreme Court of Canada in Olabode Abayolmi Olotu v. Her Majesty the Queen, 2017 Docket #37167
- Defence counsel in $16.8 million fraud case, R. v. Fast,  S.J. No. 184, 2014 SKQB 84, and R. v. Fast,  S.J. No. 299, 2014 SKQB 161
- Defence counsel in numerous impaired driving .08 cases with expertise in arbitrary detention and constitutional issues at trial and appeal cases, in R. v. Houben, 2005 SKQB 179, 2006 SKCA 129
- Defence counsel in search and seizure cases with emphasis on rights to counsel, warrantless arrest issues, exclusion of evidence, in R. v. Langan, 2000 SKQB 67
- Defence counsel in impaired driving .08 cases with emphasis on refusal to provide breath sample, reasonable opportunity to provide sample, in R. v. Melrose, 2002 SKPC 36
- Defence counsel in numerous dangerous driving cases, including fatalities, e.g., R. v. P. (C.T.) 2005 SKCA 123, and unreported Edmonton, Alberta decision involving dangerous driving causing death, criminal negligence causing death and hit and run. Counsel work for trucker charged in fatality involving RCMP constable
- Defence counsel in controlled substance and narcotics cases including extradition matters, in United States of America v. Kerslake, 1996 CanLII 7203 (SK QB)
Real Estate – Including residential and commercial purchase and sale, re-financing and debt consolidation.
Tribunals – Including counsel work and appearances before the following authorities:
- North Battleford Water Inquiry
- Office of the Rentalsman
- Saskatchewan Financial Services Commission (Securities Commission)
- Director, Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Chair, Saskatchewan Legal Aid Commission Appeal Committee
- Editor, The Advocate (quarterly legal periodical of the STLA) 2002-2013
- President, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Volunteer with Pro-Bono Students Canada – Community Legal Assistance Services for Saskatoon Inner-City Inc. (CLASSIC)