Colin is one of our firm’s founders and is Managing Director. He practices exclusively in litigation primarily in insurance defence and subrogation. He is an experienced trial lawyer engaged by insurers to defend large loss product liability claims, serious personal injury actions and large fire losses. His clientele includes regional, national and international insurance companies.
Colin was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2014.
Q: My favorite food is…
A: A Big Mac, Filet o’ Fish and fries
Q: I’m happiest when I’m able to…
A: Spend a few hours with an interesting video game
Q: My favourite day of the year is…
A: Christmas, duh!
Q: My favourite quotation is…
A: “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins on the occasion of his eleventieth birthday
Q: My favourite book/author is…
A: Stephen King
Q: In my former life, I think I must have been…
A: In the military – I love war movies
Q: If I was Ruler of the World, the first things to be banned would be…
A: Telemarketers, automated dialers, blister packs and the tiny screws that hold the arm on your eyeglasses but you need your eyeglasses to see!
Q: My most listened-to song is…
A: Battle of Evermore, Led Zeppelin
- Insurance Law – Coverage opinions on CGL, E & O and manuscript wordings and the interplay between the insuring agreement and policy exclusions. Opinions regarding the insurer’s duty to defend the insured in particular cases including construction defect cases, fire losses, product liability claims, professional negligence and personal and bodily injury claims. Representing large and small insurers in coverage litigation.
- Insurance Defence – Regularly appointed by national and international insurers, under CGL coverage and personal lines liability coverage, to defend the insured in cases including, product liability, professional negligence, personal and bodily injury claims. Recently negotiated and secured a consent dismissal on behalf of a US manufacturer whose product was suspected as the cause of a 15 million dollar fire loss
- Civil Litigation – including large loss and complex, document intensive litigation involving negligence, trade mark infringement, misrepresentation, breach of contract, economic loss, insurance coverage and professional negligence.
- Commercial Litigation – Shareholder disputes, shareholder oppression relief, litigation arising from sale of shares, negligent misrepresentation, non-performance of obligations, economic loss. Saskatchewan counsel representing the Province of Saskatchewan against national and international tobacco companies to recover health care expenditures arising from cigarette use.
- Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Canadian Bar Association
- Saskatoon Bar Association
- Past President, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
- Chair, Strategic Directions Committee, CDL
- Chair, Executive Committee, CDL
- Member, Insurance Law Committee, DRI
- Member, Products Liability Committee, DRI
- Member, International Law Committee, FDCC
- Member, International Law Committee, DRI
- Chair, “Alchemy of Advocacy” legal education program, CDL
- Director, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President and President of Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
- Committee Member, Business Development Committee, Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce
- Director, Saskatchewan Mediation and Arbitration Association
- Board Member, Habitat for Humanity, Saskatoon Chapter
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Saskatchewan Bar Association
- President, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association
- Secretary, Kinsmen Club of Saskatoon
- Member, Membership Committee, Saskatoon Golf and Country Club
- Secretary and Technical Co-ordinator, Aurora Soccer Club
- Coach, Aurora Soccer Club